Students are representatives of the College of New Jersey Department of Nursing whenever involved in off-campus study or clinical experiences.
All students are required to purchase a standard TCNJ white lab coat and name badge the semester prior to taking Health Assessment. These items must be worn during all clinical experiences with a few exceptions (such as a pediatric practice where the preceptor requires business attire instead of a uniform). In such cases, the TCNJ name badge must be worn at all times. Information on ordering the uniform can be found in the Department of Nursing Office.
In addition to the standard lab coat and identification noted above, the following dress and hygiene code applies:
- Dress neatly and professionally. Trousers or slacks may be worn but denim jeans or jean type slacks are not permitted. Skirts should not be shorter than just above the knee. Casual T-shirts and shirts with logos are not appropriate.
- Jewelry should be kept to a minimum and of modest size.
- Avoid wearing expensive or flashy jewelry to clinical sites.
- Only stud type earrings are allowed. Bracelets are not acceptable.
- Diamond engagement rings and other rings that have a high or large stone should be left at home.
- Tattoos and other forms of body art must be covered so they are not visible.
- Closed, low-heeled shoes (heels 1 ½” or less) are required. Sneakers are not permitted.
- Hair should be worn above the collar or secured in back of the head. Hair should be styled so it doesn’t fall on the patient or obscure vision during the physical examination.
- Facial hair should be neat and trimmed to less than 1” in length.
- For client comfort and safety, refrain from wearing perfume/cologne or other strongly scented products.
- To prevent nosocomial infection, students must adhere to the principles of good hand hygiene.
- Handwashing is expected before and after contact with each client, and with equipment and diagnostic specimens.
- Fingernails must be kept short (not extending beyond the ends of your fingers), smooth and clean. Clear or light colored fingernail polish may be worn. No artificial fingernails or tips may be worn.