SIGMA THETA TAU-INTERNATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
DELTA NU CHAPTER
A Nursing Honor Society of Trenton State College was established in Fall 1977 and petitioned for chartership to the International Honor Society of Nursing (Sigma Theta Tau) in Fall 1978. Nursing Honor Society of the College of New Jersey was chartered in the Spring of 1980.
Purposes – the purposes of this society are to:
- Recognize superior achievement.
- Recognize the development of leadership qualities.
- Foster high professional standards.
- Encourage creative work.
- Strengthen commitment to the ideals and purpose of the profession. Qualifications for Regular Membership:
- Candidates shall have demonstrated superior scholastic achievement, evidence of professional leadership and marked achievement in the field of nursing.
- Candidates shall be elected from students enrolled in the Division of Professional Nursing and the Division of Advanced Nursing Education and Practice. Students who have completed at least one-half of the required curriculum and have demonstrated ability in nursing shall be eligible.
- All students within Nursing who have completed NURS 320/324 and have a cumulative average of 3.0 or better shall be considered initially. Students must also be in the top 15% of their class as Juniors or the top 30% of their class as Seniors.
- The number of students from any one class shall not exceed 35% of the total number expected to graduate from that class.
- Students with prior nursing experience and education (RN) shall account for no less than five percent of the total number from any one class.
- Students in the Division of Advanced Nursing Education and Practice are eligible for membership if they achieve a grade point average of at least 3.5 and do not rank lower than the highest 35% of their class in scholarship.
- Alumni and Community Membership: A graduate nurse with a baccalaureate degree or higher who has demonstrated marked achievement in the field of nursing shall be eligible for membership in any chapter.
Selection of Regular Members:
- All candidates ordinarily must be present to be inducted. Exceptions may be made for valid reasons as determined by the officers of the chapter.
- Candidates for regular membership shall be voted upon openly by the Chapter. A favorable vote of at least three-fourths of members present is necessary for election to membership.
- Candidates shall be considered without regard to sex, creed, or color.
- Candidates shall pay all national fees before admission to membership.
- Deadline for applications is February 15th.