A course syllabus is considered a contract between the course faculty and student. The link below includes a syllabus template developed based on the model provided by the College’s Committee on Academic Programs in 2012. The template includes all of the required elements of a course and faculty can add additional information as needed.
The syllabus shall be distributed in every course during the first week of the course and includes the following information, although the precise order is variable:
- The course prefix and number, catalog description, number of course units, and prerequisites (or corequisites). For cross-listed courses all applicable prefixes and course numbers are on the syllabus.
- The instructor’s name, office address, college email address and office hours by specified times or by appointment.
- A listing of all required materials (such as books, lab manuals, study guides, and supplies). A supplemental listing of recommended readings may also be listed.
- Course requirements (including assignments, tests and examinations, projects, papers, laboratory experiences, etc.).
- A course description and learning goals which reference accreditation standards.
- A chronological listing of topics covered with dates due for assignments, examinations, etc. This may be included directly within the syllabus or in a file titled course outline Criteria for determining final grades.
- A statement of adherence to TCNJ’s attendance policy.
- A statement of adherence to TCNJ’s academic integrity policy.
- A statement of adherence to TCNJ’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) policy and Disability Support.